In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Grange like this:
GRANGE, an extra-parochial hamlet in Medway district, Kent; on the river Medway, adjacent to the Chatham and Dover railway, 1 mile E of New Brompton r. station, and 2½ ENE of Chatham. It is a member of the cinque port of Hastings; and it belonged to the families of Hastings, Philipotts, and Bamines. Acres, 415; of which 190 are water. Pop., 206. Houses, 43. A small chapel, in perpendicular architecture, was built here by Sir John Philipott, in the time of Richard II.; and is now used as an outhouse.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Grange has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Medway. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Grange and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Grange, in Medway and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th October 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Grange".