In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rumworth like this:
RUMWORTH, a township in Deane parish, Lancashire; 2 miles W S W of Bolton. Acres, 1, 300. Real property, £7, 504; of which £1,000 are in mines. Pop.in 1851, 1, 386: in 1861, 1,861. Houses, 391. The increase of pop. arose from the erection of a cotton-milland of weaving sheds. Whitebank and Rhuddylan House are chief residences. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £40.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Rumworth has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Bolton. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Rumworth and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rumworth, in Bolton and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st August 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Rumworth".