In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Tower of London like this:
Tower of London, par., Middlesex, Tower Hamlets parl. bor., London, 27 ac. (including Old Tower Without), pop. 928. The par. contains the fortress of the same name, founded by William the Conqueror, probably on the site of an older fortress; once a fortress, a royal residence, a court of justice, and a prison, it is now a Government storehouse and armoury. The Tower Subway consists of an iron tube, 7 ft. in diameter and 1235 ft. in length, laid 18 ft. below the bed of the Thames, and running from Great Tower Hill on the Middlesex side of the river to Tooley Street on the Surrey side; it was at first opened (1870) for tramway traffic, but in a few months was made a footway.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Tower of London has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Tower Hamlets. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Tower of London and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tower of London, in Tower Hamlets and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Tower of London".