In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Middle Hulton like this:
HULTON (MIDDLE), a township in Deane parish, Lancashire; near the Bolton and Leigh railway, 3½ miles SSW of Bolton. Acres, 1, 280. Real property, £6, 446; of which £3, 591 are in mines, and £100 in quarries. Pop., 790. Houses, 157. The manor belongs to the Earl of Ellesmere. Leigh's charities here yield £67 a year.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Middle Hulton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Bolton. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Middle Hulton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Middle Hulton, in Bolton and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th May 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Middle Hulton".