In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Highway like this:
HIGHWAY, a parish in Calne district, Wilts; 4½ miles NE of Calne, and 5 NNW of Wootton-Bassett r. station. Post town, Hillmarton, under Chippenham. Acres, 813. Real property, £1, 077. Pop., 121. Houses, 26. The manor belongs to A. H. Tonge, Esq. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Bremhill, in the diocese of Salisbury.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Highway has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Wiltshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Highway and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Highway in North Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st September 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Highway".