In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ashton like this:
ASHTON, a hamlet in Ufford parish, Northampton; 2½ miles W of Helpstone r. station, and 5 E by S of Stamford. Acres, 980. Real property, £1,069. Pop., 115. Houses. 21. Ashton Wold is a resort of sportsmen.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Ashton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Peterborough. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Ashton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ashton, in Peterborough and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th November 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ashton".