In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Garvald like this:
Garvald or Garrel, an ancient parish and a burn in Dumfriesshire. The parish was annexed, about 1674, partly to Johnstone, chiefly to Kirkmichael; and it continues to give name to the two farms of Upper and Nether Garrel. Its church, rebuilt so late as 1617, stood on the right bank of Garvald Burn, 3¼ miles NE of Kirkmichael church; and now is represented by ruined walls and an enclosed burying-ground. The burn, rising at an altitude of 1050 feet above sea-level, winds 7¼ miles south-south-eastward through all the length of the parish, till it glides into Ae Water, 2 miles NNW of Lochmaben. With a total descent of 860 feet, it forms a number of tiny cascades and cataracts, making in one place a fall of 18 feet over a mural rock.Ord. Sur., sh. 10, 1864.
The location is that of Garvald Church, as more clearly shown on modern 1:25,000 maps.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Garvald has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Dumfries and Galloway. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Garvald and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Garvald, in Dumfries and Galloway and Dumfries Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 12th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Garvald".