In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Barjarg like this:
Barjarg, a hamlet and an estate in Keir parish, Dumfriesshire. The hamlet stands near the river Nith, 3½ miles S of Thornhill. The estate belonged in the 16th century to the Earl of Morton; passed in 1857 to T. Grierson, Esq.; went afterwards, by marriage, to C. Erskine, Esq., advocate, who rose to the bench and took the title of Lord Tinwald; was subsequently purchased by Dr Hunter, professor of divinity in Edinburgh University, and now belongs to Wm. Francis Hunter Arundell, owner of 1947 acres in the shire, valued at £1689 per annum. The mansion, Barjarg Tower, stands amid finely-planted grounds.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Barjarg has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Dumfries and Galloway. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Barjarg and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barjarg, in Dumfries and Galloway and Dumfries Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Barjarg".