In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Addiewell like this:
Addiewell, a manufacturing village in West Calder parish, Edinburghshire, on the verge of the county, near the Cleland branch of the Caledonian railway, 1½ mile WSW of West Calder. It has a post office under Midcalder, railway connection with the Caledonian, and a Church of Scotland mission station. Founded about 1866 in connection with great chemical works, it comprises a great number of factory buildings, retort sheds, etc.: and it looks like an assemblage of numerous factories and their appurtenances for a diversity of purposes. The works cover 70 acres, produce vast quantities of paraffin oil, naphtha, paraffin candles, and ammonia, and serve also as auxiliaries to the great chemical works in the vicinity of Bathgate. A public school, with accommodation for 327 children, had (1879) an average attendance of 274, and a grant of £251,6s. Pop. (18 81) 1819.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Addiewell has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Lothian. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Addiewell and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Addiewell in West Lothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th November 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Addiewell".