In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Blackhall like this:
Blackhall, a village on the mutual border of St Cuthbert's, Corstorphine, and Cramond parishes, Edinburghshire, on the road from Edinburgh to Queensferry, 2¼ miles W by N of Edinburgh- It has a head post office, with telegraph department. Craigleith quarry, St Cuthbert's workhouse, Blinkbonny, Ravelston House, Craigcrook, and the eastern skirts of Corstorphine Hill are in its vicinity.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Blackhall has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Edinburgh. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Blackhall and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Blackhall, in Edinburgh and Midlothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Blackhall".