In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Auldgirth like this:
Auldgirth, a place in the southern angle of Closeburn parish, Dumfriesshire, on the river Nith and on the Glasgow and South-Western railway, 8 miles NW by N of Dumfries. It has a bridge over the Nith, a station on the railway, a good inn, and a post office under Dumfries, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments. A famous old three-trunked tree, called the Three Brethren, stood near it, but has been destroyed. The adjacent reach of the valley of the Nith, for about 2 miles, is contracted to the narrowness of almost a gorge, and exhibits views of singular picturesqueness.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Auldgirth has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Dumfries and Galloway. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Auldgirth and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Auldgirth, in Dumfries and Galloway and Dumfries Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Auldgirth".