In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Auchnacraig like this:
Achnacraig or Auchnacraig, a hamlet in Torosay parish, island of Mull, Argyllshire, on the coast, at Loch Don, 8½ miles W by N of Oban. It has a post office with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments, under Oban, an inn, and a small harbour: and is the principal ferry-station of Mull, first to the opposite island of Kerrera, a distance of about 4½ miles, and thence to the mainland near Oban, a distance of 4 miles. Great numbers of black cattle are conveyed from it for the lowland markets: and formerly those also from Coll and Tiree were landed on the further side of Mull, and here reshipped.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Auchnacraig has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Argyll and Bute. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Auchnacraig and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Auchnacraig in Argyll and Bute | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Auchnacraig".