In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Auchmithie like this:
Auchmithie, a fishing village in St Vigeans parish, Forfarshire, on a rocky bank rising about 150 feet from the beach, 3½ miles NNE of Arbroath. It holds of the Earl of Northesk, is irregularly built, but contains several good houses, and has a sort of harbour at the foot of an opening in the rocky bank, a post office under Arbroath, an inn, and an Established mission church (1829-34; minister's salary, £80). Water and drainage works were formed in 1880. Anchmithie is the ` Musselcrag ' of Scott's Antiquary; its fishermen contend with great difficulties, having after every voyage to draw their boats inward from the beach, to prevent their destruction by the violence of the waves. Pop. (1871) 412.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Auchmithie has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Angus. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Auchmithie and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Auchmithie in Angus | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Auchmithie".