In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Veryan like this:
VERYAN, a parish in Truro district, Cornwall; on the coast, 3¾ miles S of Tregony, and 7½ S of Grampound-Road r. station. Post town, Grampound, Cornwall. Acres, 5,627; of which 35 are water. Real property, £6,767. Pop., 1,399. Houses, 346. The manor was known, at Domesday, as Elerkie; and belonged then to the Earl of Mortaigne. V. Bay is a semi-circular indentation between Nare Head and Dodman Point; measures about 5 miles along the chord; and is engirt with cliffs, exhibiting a fine section of Silurian rocks, in association with traps and conglomerates. ...
V. Beacon measures 372 feet in circuit, and 370 feet in height; commands a good view; is traditionally regarded as the burial-place of Gerennius, a king of Cornwall in the 6th century; was opened in 1855; and was then found to contain a kistvaen. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £361. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of E. The church was rebuilt in 1848. There are three dissenting chapels, and charities £27.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Veryan has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Carrick. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Veryan and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Veryan, in Carrick and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 31st March 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Veryan".