In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Thornliebank like this:
Thornliebank, a manufacturing village in Eastwood Parish, Renfrewshire, on Auldhouse Burn, 1½ mile SSW of Pollokshaws. It has a post office under Glasgow, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments, a railway station (1881) on the Caledonian, a U.P. church (1836; renovated 1883), a public school (1878), and a public hall (1879), erected by the Messrs Crum at a cost of £4000. That firm's extensive works, for cotton-spinning, power-loom weaving, calico-printing, and bleaching, were commenced towards the close of the 18th century. The mansion of Thornliebank is the seat of Alex. Crum, Esq. (b. 1828; suc. 1867), Liberal M.P. for Renfrewshire since 1880. Pop. (1841) 1620, (1861) 1839, (1871) 2123, (1881) 2156, of whom 1069 were females. Houses (1881) 404.Ord. Sur., sh. 30, 1866.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Thornliebank has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Renfrewshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Thornliebank and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Thornliebank in East Renfrewshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Thornliebank".