In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Newton like this:
Newton, a village in Cambuslang parish, Lanarkshire, with a station on the Caledonian railway, 5½ miles SE of Glasgow. It has a post office under Glasgow, with money order and savings' bank departments, a public school, and St Columba's Episcopal church (1874; 200 sittings). Near it is Newton House. Pop. (1871) 306, (1881) 730.Ord. Sur., sh. 31, 1867.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Newton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Lanarkshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Newton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newton in South Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Newton".