In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Inch Garvie like this:
Inchgarvie, a rocky islet of Inverkeithing parish, Fife, in the Firth of Forth, 3 furlongs SSE of the North Queensferry coastguard station and 4 ½ NE of Long Craig near South Queensferry. Measuring 5 furlongs in circumference, it was crowned with a fort in the reign of James IV., which served as a state prison from 1519 till the purchase of the Bass in 1671, and which was visited in 1651 by Charles II. Inchgarvie was refortified and provided with four iron 24-pounders in 1779, after the alarm occasioned by the appearance of Paul Jones' squadron in the Firth; and it now forms the central support of the two great spans of the Forth Railway Bridge.Ord. Sur., sh. 32, 1857.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Inch Garvie has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Fife. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Inch Garvie and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Inch Garvie in Fife | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Inch Garvie".