In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Mossend like this:
Mossend, a town in Bothwell parish, Lanarkshire, 7 furlongs E by N of Bellshill, 1 ¼ mile W of Holytown, and 4 ¼ miles S by E of Coatbridge. Of recent origin, it has a station on the Caledonian railway, a post and telegraph office, extensive iron and steel works, public and Roman Catholic schools, and a fine new Roman Catholic church, erected in 1883-84 from designs by Messrs Pugin. Pop. (1871) 1501, (1881) 3030, of whom 1701 were males. Houses (1881) 531 inhabited, 23 vacant.Ord. Sur., sh. 31, 1867.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Mossend has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Lanarkshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Mossend and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mossend in North Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Mossend".