In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Lochgair like this:
Lochgair, a small sea-loch, a hamlet, and a mansion in Kilmichael-Glassary parish, Argyllshire. The sealoch, opening from the W side of Loch Fyne, penetrates the land 7 furlongs north-north-westward, and receives a streamlet 1¼ mile long from Loch Glashan- The hamlet, at the head of the sea-loch, 4½ miles SSW of Minard, has a post office, a small mission church of the Church of Scotland, and a public school. The mansion, in the vicinity of the hamlet, succeeded an ancient baronial fortalice, which was long the seat of extensive clan-power.Ord. Sur., sh. 37, 1876.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Lochgair has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Argyll and Bute. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Lochgair and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lochgair in Argyll and Bute | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 18th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Lochgair".