In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Hilton like this:
Hilton, an ancient parish in Merse district, SE Berwickshire, united in 1735 to Whitsome. The church, on a small hill, 13/8 mile E by N of Whitsome church, was once adjoined by a hamlet, taking from the site the name of Hilton or Hilltown; and is still represented by a disused burying-ground.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hilton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Scottish Borders. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hilton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hilton, in Scottish Borders and Berwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hilton".