In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Crowan like this:
CROWAN, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Helston district, Cornwall. The village stands 3 miles S of Camborne r. station, and 5 NNW of Helston; and has a post office under Camborne, Cornwall, and a fair on 17 May. The parish comprises 7, 239 acres. Real property, £8, 836. Pop., 4, 131. Houses, 824. The property is divided among a few. The manor has belonged, since the time of Richard II., to the family of St. Aubyn. Granite, slate, and copper ore occur. Crowan Beacon is 850 feet high, and commands a fine view. ...
A quondam logan-stone, thrown off its balance by some of Cromwell's soldiers, lies ½ a mile south of the village. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £451.* Patron, the Rev. H. M. St. Aubyn. The church has a tower; contains monuments of the St. Aubyns; and was recently restored. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists. The sub-district is conterminate with the parish.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Crowan has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Kerrier. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Crowan and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Crowan, in Kerrier and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th August 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Crowan".