Place:


Bilston Staffordshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Bilston like this:

Bilston, market town, W. Staffordshire, 2½ miles SE. of Wolverhampton and within its parl. bor., 139 miles from London by rail, 1845 ac., pop. 22,730; 2 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-days, Monday and Saturday. It is a great centre of hardware trade -- iron and brass castings, tin and japanned wares, &c., with extensive iron foundries and smelting works, and potteries. In vicinity are productive coal and ironstone mines, also an abundance of fine sand for casting, and a very hard stone suitable for grindstones. It contains eccl. dists. of B. St Leonard, pop. 7181; B. St Luke, 4300; and B. St Mary, 4010.

Bilston through time

A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bilston has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Wolverhampton. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bilston and units named after it.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bilston, in Wolverhampton and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/221

Date accessed: 21st September 2014


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bilston".