In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Crossgates like this:
Crossgates, a village on the mutual border of Dunfermline and Dalgety parishes, Fife, with a station on the North British railway, 3½ miles ENE of Dunfermline. Inhabited chiefly by colliers, it is surrounded at near distances by extensive coal mines; adjoins lines of mineral railway, communicating with St David's harbour on Inverkeithing Bay; and has a post office, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments, 2 hotels, a U.P. church (1802; 531 sittings), and a public school, which, with accommodation for 160 children, had (1880) an average attendance of 124, and a grant of £91, 2s. Pop. (1841) 646, (1861) 1115, (1871) 1181, (1881) 1215.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Crossgates has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Fife. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Crossgates and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Crossgates in Fife | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Crossgates".