In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Carruthers like this:
Carruthers, an ancient parish on the eastern border of Annandale, Dumfriesshire, consolidated in 1609 with Middlebie and Penersax, and now forming the eastern section of the present Middlebie. From the Earls of Bothwell its lands passed to the Crown by the forfeiture of Earl James, in 1567; and, given by James VI. with the earldom of Bothwell to his cousin Francis Stewart, by him they were forfeited in 1592. Subsequently they went, with other lands in their vicinity, to the Douglases of Drumlanrig.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Carruthers has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Dumfries and Galloway. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Carruthers and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Carruthers, in Dumfries and Galloway and Dumfries Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th September 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Carruthers".