In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Bonnington like this:
Bonninton, a suburb on the mutual border of St Cuthbert's and North Leith parishes, Edinburghshire, on the Water of Leith, and on the Edinburgh and Leith branch of the North British railway, in the south-western vicinity of Leith. It comprises numerous neat villas and good lofty houses; presents an appearance in keeping with the best part of Leith; and has a station on the railway, a U.P. church hall, a girls' public school, and a mineral spring. The U.P. hall, a Gothic edifice, was erected in 1875 at a cost of about £1200, contains 250 sittings, and was to be followed by the erection of a contiguous church.
The location is that shown for Bonnington on modern 1:25,000 maps.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bonnington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Edinburgh. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bonnington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bonnington, in Edinburgh and Midlothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th March 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bonnington".