Place:


Littleport Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Littleport like this:

LITTLEPORT, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Ely district, Cambridge. The village stands on the Old Croft river, near its influx to the Ouse, adjacent to the East Anglian railway, 5 miles NNE of Ely; is a large place, with several streets; and has a station with telegraph on the railway, and a post office ‡ under Ely.—The parish comprises 16,136 acres. Real property, £28,881. Pop. in 1851,3,832; in 1861,3,728. Houses, 824. The property is divided chiefly among eight. ...


The manor belongs to the Earl of Hardwick. All the surface, except about 800 acres, is fen. The land has been very greatly enhanced in value by skilful draining, and by the system of claying. Seventy-five Wind-engines were used for effecting the drainage prior to the introduction of steam power; and two steam engines, each of about 80 horsepoWer, were afterwards employed. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £1,800.* Patron, the Bishop of Ely. The church is fine early English; was enlarged, in 1857, by the addition of a double nave and aisle; has a lofty tower, which figures conspicuously to a great distance; and contains nearly 1,000 sittings. There are chapels for Calvinists, Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists; a large national school, a meat brick edifice, attended by nearly 300 children; and charities, of varions kinds, about £400.—The sub-district contains also Ely-Westmoor Fen, Downham parish, and parts of three other parishes. Pop., 5,968. Houses, 1,306.

Littleport through time

A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Littleport has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Cambridgeshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Littleport and units named after it.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Littleport in East Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2202

Date accessed: 20th September 2014


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Littleport".