In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Burravoe like this:
Burravoe, a bay and a hamlet in Mid and South Yell parish, Shetland. The bay is in the SE of Yell island; opens 4½ miles N by W of Lunaness on the mainland, and 26¼ miles N by E of Lerwick; penetrates the land 21/3 miles north-north-eastward; is flanked on all the E side by a narrow peninsula, terminating in Burra Head; and forms a good harbour. The hamlet lies at the head of the bay; has a post office under Lerwick, and a girls' school; it gives name to a presbytery in the synod of Shetland. ...
The presbytery comprehends the old parishes of Mid and South Yell, Fetlar and North Yell, and Unst, with the quoad sacra parishes of North Yell and South Yell. Pop. (1871) 6033, (1881) 5141, of whom 1414 were communicants of the Church of Scotland in 1878, the sums raised by them that year in Christian liberality amounting to £89.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Burravoe has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Shetland Islands. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Burravoe and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Burravoe in Shetland Islands | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 13th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Burravoe".