In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Bonawe like this:
Bonawe, vil., Glenorchy par., N. Argyllsh., on river Awe, 1½ mile NE. of Taynuilt sta. and 14½ miles NE. of Oban; it has a ferry across Loch Etive, and extensive granite and paving-stone quarries in the neighbourhood.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bonawe has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Argyll and Bute. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bonawe and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bonawe in Argyll and Bute | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bonawe".