In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Clermiston like this:
Clermiston, an estate, with a mansion, in Corstorphine parish, Edinburghshire. The mansion stands ¾ mile N of Corstorphine village, and was built in 1792, at a cost of £3000. The estate belonged in 1771 to the eminent physician Sir Alexander Dick, forming till then a part of the barony of Corstorphine, and was afterwards sold to Samuel Mitchelson, who built the mansion. Sold again in 1795 to George Robinson for £11,000, and yet again in 1836 to Francis Jeffrey, Lord Jeffrey, for £15,250, it is now the property of Wm. Macfie, Esq., who owns 124 acres in the shire, valued at £443 per annum.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Clermiston has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Edinburgh. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Clermiston and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clermiston, in Edinburgh and Midlothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th August 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Clermiston".