In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Burdiehouse like this:
Burdiehouse, a hamlet and a burn of Edinburghshire. The hamlet, in the SE of Liberton parish, lies on the burn 4½ miles S by E of Edinburgh, and 1½ NW of Loanhead; is supposed to have been originally called Bourdeaux-House, from its being the residence of some of Queen Mary's French attendants in 1561; and is celebrated for its limekilns, which manufacture about 15,000 bolls of lime a year. A vast deposit of limestone here contains fossils which have been largely discussed by eminent geologists. - The burn, rising on the northern shoulder of the Pentland Hills, within Colinton parish, runs 3½ miles eastward to Burdiehouse hamlet, and thence 5 miles north-eastward through Liberton parish, and on the boundary with Newton and Inveresk parishes, to the Firth of Forth between Joppa and Fisherrow.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Burdiehouse has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Edinburgh. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Burdiehouse and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Burdiehouse, in Edinburgh and Midlothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 09th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Burdiehouse".