In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Little Ross like this:
Little Ross, a small island of Borgue parish, Kirkcudbrightshire, at the W side of the mouth of the Dee's estuary, ¼ mile E of the headland which separates the entrance of that estuary from the entrance of Wigtown Bay. Measuring 2½ furlongs by 1, it is crowned by a lighthouse, which rises 123 feet above sea-level, and commands a magnificent view of the waters and screens of the estuary, all northward to Kirkcudbright, whilst seaward it looks across the entire breadth of Wigtown Bay, and along the Solway Firth on to its mergence with the Irish Sea. ...
The lighthouse, built in 1843 at a cost of £8478, shows a flashing light every five seconds, visible at the distance of 18 nautical miles, and guiding the navigation of the Solway; and two towers, standing on a line with the lighthouse in a north-easterly direction, serve to guide a vessel over the bar at the mouth of the Dee into the fair way of the estuary.Ord. Sur., sh. 5, 1857.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Little Ross has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Dumfries and Galloway. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Little Ross and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Little Ross, in Dumfries and Galloway and Kirkcudbrightshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 13th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Little Ross".