In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Bass Rock like this:
Bass Rock, a precipitous and nearly circular islet, 2 miles off Haddingtonshire coast, at entrance to Firth of Forth. It is 350 ft. high, and shelves down to the water's edge on the SW., where alone it is accessible. It is the resort of vast numbers of aquatic birds, and was long used as a State prison for the Covenanters.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bass Rock has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Lothian. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bass Rock and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bass Rock in East Lothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 12th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bass Rock".