In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Balerno like this:
Balerno, a village in Currie parish, Edinburghshire, on the right bank of the Water of Leith, with a station on a loop line of the Caledonian, 1 mile WSW of Currie, and 7 SW of Edinburgh. It has a post office under Currie, with money order and savings' bank departments, a U.P. church (1829; 500 sittings), 2 inns, 2 paper-mills, and a public and an Episcopal school, which, with accommodation for 176 and 126 children, had (1879) an average attendance of 109 and 57, and grants of £93, 12s. and £33, 12s. Pop. (1861) 510, (1871) 490. -
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Balerno has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Edinburgh. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Balerno and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Balerno, in Edinburgh and Midlothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Balerno".