In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Whalsey like this:
Whalsey, an island of Nesting parish, Shetland, 1¾ mile E of the nearest point of the Mainland, and 13½ miles NNE of Lerwick, under which it has a post office. With a rocky coast, it measures 55/8 miles from NE to SW, has a maximum breadth of 21/8 miles, consists almost entirely of gneiss, is studded with ten little fresh-water lochs, rises to 393 feet at the Ward of Clett, contains one sheep farm, and has a free light soil, capable of considerable cultivation, but in many places severely ` scalped.' Symbister House, a stately mansion of Aberdeenshire granite, built half a century since at a cost of £20, 000, is the property of William Arthur Bruce, Esq. ...
(b. 1863; suc. 1873), who holds 25,180 acres, valued at £2354 per annum. The Established church was raised to quoad sacra status in 1869, its minister's stipend being £135, and the parish including the Out Skerries, etc.; and there are public schools of Brough and Livister. Pop. of island (1841) 628, (1861) 728, (1871) 854, (1881) 870; of q. s. parish (1881) 1027.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Whalsey has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Shetland Islands. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Whalsey and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whalsey in Shetland Islands | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Whalsey".