In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Plean like this:
Plean, a village and a quoad sacra parish in St Ninians parish, Stirlingshire. The village, lying 3 miles SSE of Bannockburn, has a post office under Stirling, a public school, and an asylum or hospital for 30 old men, founded by Col. Francis Simpson, who died in 1831. Plean House is in the western vicinity of the village. The quoad sacra parish, constituted in 1878, is in the presbytery of Stirling and the synod of Perth and Stirling; the living is worth £289. Pop. (1881) of village, 369; of q. s. parish, 1037.Ord. Sur., sh. 39, 1869.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Plean has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Stirling. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Plean and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Plean, in Stirling and Stirlingshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th December 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Plean".