In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Giffnock like this:
Giffnock, a hamlet in Eastwood parish, Renfrewshire, 1¼ mile S of Pollokshaws. It has a station on the Glasgow and Busby railway, and lies near extensive quarries of an excellent building sandstone, popularly called 'liver rock.'
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Giffnock has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Renfrewshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Giffnock and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Giffnock in East Renfrewshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 13th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Giffnock".