In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Gartcosh like this:
Gartcosh, a village and station in Cadder parish, Lanarkshire, on the Caledonian railway, 2¾ miles NW of Coatbridge and 7 ENE of Glasgow. N ear it are Gartcosh Fireclay Works. Pop. (1881) 356.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Gartcosh has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Lanarkshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Gartcosh and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gartcosh in North Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th July 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Gartcosh".