In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Ferintosh like this:
Ferintosh, a detached section of Nairnshire, at the head of Cromarty Firth, surrounded by Ross-shire, and lying about 2¼ miles SE of Dingwall. It forms the central district of the united parish of Urquhart and Logie-Wester; it comprises part of the Mullbuie, and part of the strath at that ridge's south-western base; it is bounded, along the W, for 2½ miles, by the river Conan and the upper part of Cromarty Firth; and it comprises 5973 acres of land, partly moor, partly pasture, but chiefly arable. ...
The barony of Ferintosh was purchased about 1670 by the Forbeses of Culloden, who here have a mansion, Ryefield Lodge; and a privilege of distilling whisky on it, from grain of its own growth, free of duty, was granted in 1689 to Duncan Forbes, father of President Forbes, but was withdrawn in 1785, being compensated by a grant of £20,000. The great improvements carried out on the estate since 1847 in the way of reclaiming, draining, fencing, building, etc., are described in Tran. Highl. and Ag. Soc., 1877, pp. 113-116.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Ferintosh has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Highland. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Ferintosh and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ferintosh, in Highland and Nairnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 09th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ferintosh".