In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Mugdock like this:
Mugdock, an ancient barony in Strathblane and New Kilpatrick parishes, Stirlingshire. From Maldwin, Earl of Lennox, it was acquired in the first half of the 13th century by David de Graham, ancestor of the noble family of Montrose; and it became, in 1646, the seat of their principal residence - Mugdock Castle, at the SW corner of Mugdock Loch (2 x 1 ½ furl.), 2 ½ miles N by W of Milngavie. A massive quadrangular tower, of unknown antiquity, this was so defended by a deep broad fosse, drawn around it from the lake, as to be inaccessible to any force that could be brought against it in the old times of rude warfare; was one of the scenes of the bacchanalian orgies of the Earl of Middleton and his associates, when employed in subverting the popular liberties under Charles II.; is now, and has long been, a ruin; and, together with its lake, figures finely amid the pleasant surrounding scenery. ...
Mugdock Reservoir (51/3 x 3 furl.), the great store-place of the Glasgow waterworks from Loch Katrine, lies ¾ mile N of Milngavie, at an altitude of 311 feet above sea-level. See Glasgow, p. 165; and Dr William Fraser, The Lennox (2 vols., Edinb. 1874).
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Mugdock has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Stirling. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Mugdock and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mugdock, in Stirling and Stirlingshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Mugdock".