In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Dryburgh like this:
Dryburgh Abbey, monastic ruin (1150), in extreme SW. of Berwickshire, on the Tweed, 4½ miles SE. of Melrose; in St Mary's Aisle is the tomb of Sir Walter Scott (1771-1832); adjoining the ruins are the seats of D. Abbey and D. House; P.O., called Dryburgh.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Dryburgh has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Scottish Borders. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Dryburgh and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dryburgh, in Scottish Borders and Berwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 13th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Dryburgh".