In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Virginia Water like this:
VIRGINIA-WATER, a chapelry in Egham parish, Surrey; on the London, Wokingham, and Reading railway, 4 miles WSW of Staines. It was constituted in 1839; and it has a post-office under Staines, a r. station, and an inn. Pop., 877. Houses, 182. Virginia-Water lake here lies in the S of Windsor forest; is the largest artificial sheet of water in England; was formed at great expense, in marshy grounds, for William, Duke of Cumberland, after 1746; sends off its superfluence by a stream making a cascade; and has a Chinese fishing temple, a hermitage, a turretted triangular building called the Belvidere, and a miniature frigate. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Winchester. Value, not reported.* Patrons, Three Trustees. The church is modern.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Virginia Water has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Runnymede. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Virginia Water and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Virginia Water, in Runnymede and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Virginia Water".