In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Caer Went like this:
CAERWENT, a village and a parish in Chepstow district, Monmouth. The village stands on Akeman-street or the Julian way, 2½ miles NW of Portskewet r. station, and 5 WSW of Chepstow; and has a post office under Chepstow. It was the Venta Silurum of the Romans; and it retains considerable fragments of the fortress walls, 505 yards by 390, and in parts from 9 to 12 feet thick and 20 feet high. Two tesselated pavements, portions of columns and statues, coins of Severus and Gordian III., and other Roman relics have been found. ...
The parish includes also the hamlet of Crick. Acres, 1,962. Real property, £2,907. Pop., 445. Houses, 83. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage. united with the p. curacy of Llanvair-Discoed, in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £258.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Llandaff. The church has a rich porch, and striking early English arcades; was probably built of materials of the Roman city; and is in good condition. There is a Baptist chapel.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Caer Went has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Monmouthshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Caer Went and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Caer Went in Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th June 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Caer Went".