In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described the Isle of May like this:
May, Isle of, in Firth of Forth, 5½, miles SE. of Crail, 126 ac., pop. 22; the Isle of May is included in the co. of Fife, but is connected with no parish; it was the seat of a 12th century priory, and contains the ruins of a 13th century chapel; on the summit, and on the NE. side are 2 lighthouses, 78 and 36 ft. high, with flashing and fixed lights (May Island) 240 and 110 ft. above high water and seen 21 and 15 miles.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing the Isle of May has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Fife. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering the Isle of May and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of the Isle of May in Fife | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "the Isle of May".