In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ocker Hill like this:
OCKER-HILL, a hamlet and a chapelry in Tipton parish, Stafford. The hamlet lies on the Walsall and Wolverhampton railway, near the Birmingham canal, 1½mile S W of Wednesbury; and has a station on the railway . The chapelry was constituted in 1845; and its post town is Tipton. Rated property, £8, 500. Pop. in 1861, 3, 787. Houses, 726. The property is subdivided. The inhabitants share in the iron manufactories and other industry of Tipton and Wednesbury. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £150.* Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church was built in 1850, at a cost of about £2, 500; and is an edifice of blue brick, in the later English style.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Ocker Hill has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Sandwell. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Ocker Hill and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ocker Hill, in Sandwell and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st April 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ocker Hill".