In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Hailes like this:
Hailes, an estate, with a mansion, a village, and a great quarry, on the NW border of Colinton parish, Edinburghshire. In 1104 Edelrad, Earl of Fife, bequeathed the lands of Hailes to the Church of the Holy Trinity at Dunfermline; and the abbot and monks of Dunfermline retained the superiority of Easter Hailes down to the Reformation. St Cuthbert's Church, however, of Hailes or Colinton, was soon transferred to Holyrood Abbey, and later, in 1445, to the Knight Templars' Hospital of St Anthony at Leith. ...
Hailes House, above the left bank of the Water of Leith, 1 mile SW of Slateford, and ¾ NW of Colinton village, is thought by some persons to occupy the site of the ancient church, and is the property of the Rev. Sir WGibson-Carmichael, Bart. of Castle-Craig. Hailes village, 3 furlongs N by W, stands close to Kingsknowe station on the Caledonian, and to the N bank of the Union canal. The quarry, near it, consists of dark grey sandstone, of slaty conformation, easily divisible into blocks for steps and paving flags. During the great building period in Edinburgh, from 1820 to 1826, it yielded no fewer than 600 cart-loads of building stone daily, and brought its landlord £9000 a year; but since it has seldom got demand for more than 60 to 70 cart-loads a day.Ord. Sur., sh. 32, 1857.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hailes has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Edinburgh. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hailes and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hailes, in Edinburgh and Midlothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hailes".