In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Upperby like this:
UPPERBY, a township and a chapelry in Carlisle-St. Cuthbert parish, Cumberland. The township lies on the river Petterill, and on the Lancaster and Carlisle railway, 1¾ mile SSE of Carlisle; and has a post-office under Carlisle. Acres, 449. Real property, £1,965. Pop., 595. Houses, 125. ...
The chapelry was constituted in 1860. Pop. in 1861, 1,898. Houses, 379. The lunatic asylum for Cumberland and Westmoreland is here, and was opened subsequent to the census of 1861. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £300.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter ofThe church was built in 1840, and is in the early English style.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Upperby, in Carlisle and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th March 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Upperby ".