In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rock Ferry like this:
ROCK-FERRY, a village and a chapelry in Bebington parish, Cheshire. The village stands on the river Mersey, and on the Birkenhead and Chester railway, 1½ mile S S E of Birkenhead; consisted, about 1835, of only 3 or 4houses; is now a considerable suburb of Birkenhead; contains many handsome villas; and has a post-office‡under Birkenhead, a r. station, and a half-hourly steam-boat-ferry to Liverpool. The chapelry includes also the village and iron pier of New Ferry, and was constituted in 1844. Pop. in 1861, 2,086. Houses, 336. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £161. Patrons, Trustees. The church was built in 1842; and is in the Norman style, with tower and spire. A Wesleyan chapel is at Rock-Ferry; and national schools and a Brethren's chapel are at New-Ferry.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Rock Ferry has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Wirral. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Rock Ferry and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rock Ferry, in Wirral and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Rock Ferry".