In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pill like this:
PILL, a village and a chapelry in Easton-in-Gordano parish, Somerset. The village stands on the river Avon, at the boundary with Gloucester, near the Avon's mouth, near the terminus of the Bristol Port and Pier railway, and near the site of the Roman Ad Sabrinam on the Julian way, 5 miles N W of Bristol; is the Bristol pilotstation, inhabited chiefly by pilots; and has a post-office‡under Bristol. The chapelry was constituted in 1860. Pop., 1,800. Ham-Green House is a chief residence. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £116. Patron, the Rev. H. Mirehouse. The church was built in 1860; and is a cruciform edifice, in the decorated English style, with a bell turret. There is a charity school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Pill has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Somerset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Pill and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pill in North Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 13th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Pill".