In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Oakley like this:
OAKLEY, a village and a parish in the district of Thame and county of Buckingham. The village stands 2 miles S of Muswell hill at the boundary with Oxford, and 5½ N W of Thame r. station; and has a post-office under Thame. The parish comprises 2, 250 acres. Real property, £3, 680. Pop., 420. Houses, 91. The property is subdivided. The manor and much of the land belong to Mrs. Ricketts. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £300. Patron, Mrs. Ricketts. The church is ancient and decayed; has a W low tower, surmounted at the S E angle by a stair-turret with a bold finial; and contains monuments of Admiral Tyrrel and James Tyrrel, author of a " History of England." There are poors' pasture-lands with £80 a year, and other charities £20.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Oakley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Aylesbury Vale. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Oakley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Oakley, in Aylesbury Vale and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Oakley".