In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Moxley like this:
MOXLEY, a village in Wednesbury parish, and a chapelry partly also in Darlaston and Wolverhampton parishes, Stafford. The village stands near the Oxford, Birmingham, and Wolverhampton railway, 1 mile S E of Bilston; is a modern place, sharing in the manufactories of the Black country; and has a station, jointly with Bradley, on the railway, and a post-office under Wednesbury. The chapelry was constituted in 1845. Pop. in 1861, 3, 857. Houses, 749. Pop. of the Wednesbury portion, 1, 123. Houses, 209. Pop. of the Darlaston portion, 2, 311. Houses, 455. The property is sub-divided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £213.* Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church is modern and neat.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Moxley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Walsall. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Moxley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Moxley, in Walsall and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st November 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Moxley".